
This summer I entered the world of online marketing/advertising. I guess you could say, I became a member of the cyber-world, when in fact it really is "a world." As I have grown up I've become with the Internet and its variety of functions and services, however, never before I got a job at PMA Media Group did I fully understand just how large this Internet thing really is.
In the image above you can see what exactly Affiliate Networking is and does. In short, it's the 21st century approach to marketing. Little do we all know as consumers (or visiter's as listed above) but everywhere we enter our email address online for any type of product, whether it be for a "free" Facebook account, or a "free" email account, or for a plane ticket, or for a magazine subscription, you are in essence giving advertising companies all over the world a little piece of who you are so that they can in turn swing right around and give you "what you want/need." THEY -- being the Advertiser/Affiliates of the world -- draw from your cyber-personality to feed you exactly what you want. (Haven't you ever noticed all those silly ads on the side of your Facebook profile that just happen to correspond with your "interests" under personal information?) This is what we do. This is the way the Internet works. This is how millionares and billionares are made now-a-days---Buying and Selling personal information. One hundred years ago who would have thought that you could be matched to the exact product that would bring you maximum satisfaction by giving someone your address? Crazy. I've learned alot this summer, but mostly just been blown away at how big this networking thing really is! It represents another dramatic shift in what one might deem "societal progress."
A mere example of this could be how a month ago I spent all afternoon emailing electronic business cards to members of other Affiliates and Advertisers during an online business conference. Whatever you are imagining this being right now, you're probably not far off from what it really was. Thousands of people from across the country (and the world) log in to a particular website and chat to share business information and discuss possible business opportunities, as well as browse other companies' portfolios which inclue different offers (campaigns) that are currently running, statistics, and much more.
My point: The world is getting smaller and much easier to control. And apparently I'm a part of making that happen. That's kind of a funny thing, but only just kind of.
No comments:
Post a Comment