Sunday, August 30, 2009

Summer Reads

I kicked off the summer with "East of Eden" by Steinbeck. This has quite possible become my favorite book I've ever read. I fell in love with the characters, particularly with the great wisdom
Sam Hamilton and Lee. I found it quite interesting that the life of Adam and his brother Charles could in so close a way mirror the lives of Adam's sons Aaron and Caleb. The overall principle the book pushes to the surface is that we are all free to make our lives what we will, regardless of our heritage, our past, or our present circumstances; the choice is ours--Timshel.

A very quick read, "Of Mice and Men" is another Steinbeck classic. Dealing with two men (George & Lennie) who themselves see and strive to live in an idealistic type of world, over the course of 100 pages come to learn through rather painful means the meaning of reality. George especially comes to understand the harshness of the world, and that the world is built on the backs of poor men like himself, and that there's no escaping it for a one acre farm with rabbits. I liked this book a lot, mainly because I can relate to George's dreaming and hoping for an idealized type of life. Sometimes it's easier than facing the world's reality lets be honest.

After seeing the 6th movie in theaters two times, I decided to re-read the 7th installment of J.K. Rowling's remarkable saga. I love following Harry and friends on this incredible journey--because to me, that's rather what it feels like. I enjoyed this book the second time much more than I did the first, since the first time I was more concerned with what happened at the end then the process the characters go through to get there. I also really enjoyed the humor that Rowling used -- it was by far the best out of all of the books. Even still, I find myself wishing it would not end once I reach the finish. I love this series, and it's crazy to think I've been following it since I was 11. I grew up with Harry Potter--just a little thought.

In late July I watched the movie "Finding Neverland" with Johnny Depp. I've always loved the Peter Pan story, it having been a very big part of my growing up. As I watched this movie, however, I thought to myself: "Why not read the book J.M. Barrie wrote? Why not get the whole story?" So I bought the book and began the adventure, because that's really what Peter Pan is all about. Peter is the anti-thesis of adulthood, embodying everything a child would want to be forever -- he fights pirates with swords, he flys, he hunts, he plays and lives in the woods, etc. Barrie certainly painted the adult world pitted against the world of children perfectly, whether it was in 1914 or 2009, it's the same. I really enjoyed this short book and recommend it to all. "Oh the cleverness of me!" I love the literary review one woman gave this book: "Whether with a glass of milk, or a glass of wine, one may enjoy this book at any age in any time." Thanks Peter... it's been a great game.

I heard David McCullough speak at BYU when I was a freshman, and became fascinated with his story telling when I read/listened to his book "John Adams". This book ("1776") is also quite good. One thing I love about McCullough is his ability to take us deep into the nature of the characters we read about. He brings them to light in a new fashion, as to help us understand why certain events occured as a result of certain men's decisions and/or their behavior, and I believe to help us appreciate the people who put their lives on the line to help form the United States of America. I'm a sucker for non-fiction as it is, but this book really hit the spot.

I've always been interested in Che. I first heard about him in high school and I read about him and bought a t-shirt with his face on it. I knew he later became a radical revolutionary and an advocate for communism in Latin America, but that doesn't change the fact that as a young man he was simply someone full of passion and adventure, who advocated change. To a great degree, Che was a romantic. He could see things a way others around him couldn't, and perhaps this is one of the reasons his notes on his motorcyle journey have become so popular. Che was a poet, and the book is sheer evidence of this fact. I would love to read it in Spanish because I know it would only be just that much better. I'm nearly finished, but it's certainly made me think twice about the world we live in, the adventures I've been on, and the way I perceive the things around me.

___________________________________________________________________

This summer I remembered how much I love reading. I didn't read a whole ton of books, but the ones I did read helped make this summer what it was. It sure did give me some things to think about, and kept my imagination going. Thanks to all the authors!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cool reviews. :)
I rather enjoy the multi-levels and ability of Peter Pan to mean so much to children AND adults for very different reasons.

Allow me to recommend one. There's a continuation of the story based on Barrie's notes for more adventure. Check it out:
http://www.peterpansneverworld.com/

BELIEVE!

SamYam said...

You're the third one of my friends to blog about books. I'm missing out!

"There's a world that we know nothing about, that we can only imagine. And that is the world of books."
— Jack Handey