Sunday, August 30, 2009

BYU Bookstore = Diagon Alley?


The White Stripes really couldn't have said it better:

"Fall is here, hear the yell
Back to school, ring the bell
Brand new shoes, walking blues
Climb the fence, book and pen,
I can tell that we are gonna be friends"

I love the Fall, and I love getting ready for school...sort of. I really do look forward to getting reacquainted with people who were away for the summer, and meeting new people. The whole thing is kind of exciting. This year, however, as I spent a little time on campus this past week in preparation for the ordeal, finding books, filling out paper work, and paying outstanding fees, I began to think of all the similarities between BYU (and perhaps any college for that matter) and Diagon Alley. I purchased my books on Tuesday--thank goodness--but on Friday as I walked through the Bookstore in the Wilkinson Center I couldn't help but be a little overwhelmed. I honestly began to picture all these freshman (who had been branded with some sort of plastic neon bracelets) in wizard robes buying all their books. It was mass-teria. There were so many people! I just thought it was a funny thing is all.
School, here you come.

No comments: