Monday, June 7, 2010

98 Degrees

This is the temperature in Phoenix at night. It really is quite the experience to shower for the evening, and then walk outside and begin sweating the moment you open the door. Gotta love the desert I guess. While work practically consumes my life 6 days a week, I think the Phoenix area is a pretty cool place. I think that if I ever had a three day weekend to go exploring, and get away from all the stucco houses that are beginning to all look the same to me, I would find a lot of things to do. I hear there are some great mountain bike trails, caves to explore, and stars to see (when you get away from the city/suburb lights). Maybe I'll get a chance to do some of that this summer. Maybe not. Either way, I'm learning lots of new things as a salesman. I have a new found respect for people who make a living doing the kind of thing I've been doing for the past 5 weeks. It is very tough stuff. The pressure you feel every morning as you go to work knowing you don't make a dime until you get that first sale is both nerve racking and invigorating. Sales, however, can also be very rewarding. I think its the "rewarding" part (and maybe for some that hint of uncertainty) that makes the sales industry go round. Despite near heat stroke daily, some killer blisters, and a fantastic farmer's tan, I am learning a lot from this line of work that I think will benefit me at some future date.
Interesting sitings on the job:
-Bark Scorpion the size of an iPhone
-Wolf Spider the size of a silver dollar w/ about 50 babies on its back
Welcome to the desert...

4 comments:

Emily said...

So, back up. You're in Phoenix? Selling, house alarms? Selling... what exactly? How did you get this gig? How long does it last? You've left out some major info my boy... Might I suggest a 2 1/2 hour drive to Flagstaff for some "away from it all" time? I could tell you places to go/things to see... also 3 hours North will put you in Antelope Canyon which, if you ask me, is some of the most beautiful scenery. period. sigh. I've been so hungry for Red Rocks and desert camping... starved, really.

Nathan said...

So I'm out selling pest control. There are lots of pests here in Phoenix -- although the market for pest control is somewhat saturated. I would LOVE some "get away from it all" time. I'm actually headed home soon (this next weekend) for my birthday. A much needed break from "it all."

Adrienne said...

Gross, Nathy.

Katie said...

What??? You have a blog and I didn't even know???